Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A-Kon Art Submissions

So just what have I been up to with these illustrations? I'll show you ;)

A-Kon is an anime convention held every year in Dallas. It's really geeky, but I've gone a couple times with friends (who are geekier than I :P), and it's pretty fun. Every year they also hold a t-shirt design contest. I've meant to enter for a couple years now, but tend to put it off and/or forget about it until it's too late. This year I vowed I would enter! So I did ;)

Though I've done a lot of work in both hand-drawing and computer illustration (and enjoy doing both separately), I'm still pretty new to converting hand drawings to digital. Annnd I kind of ran out of time, so I mainly played with live tracing options in Illustrator, rather than completely retracing them.

I had a lot of fun drawing the girl. This one is the third iteration of the drawing. Of course, the penguins were really my favorite part! Aren't they cute?! [And do you see the little comic book reference? :D] I scanned the drawing into Photoshop, traced it in Illustrator, and then colored it back in Photoshop. I need some more practice, but I think it's alright for my first real try at digital coloring.

The second drawing was a fast one. I actually just thought of it yesterday, made a full-sized sketch this afternoon, and just changed it into a digital drawing :-) I had to do a little fancy selection work in Photoshop before I could trace it in Illustrator. I went ahead and did the text in Illustrator, since I was already there. I'm pretty happy with it :D Alex says it's his favorite drawing of mine yet!

*whew* Sorry if that's lon-winded, but I thought someone may want a bit of detail on how I made them. Happy last day of March!! Sleep well ;D

6 comments:

  1. So cute!! I love the penguins, haha. I used to be sooooo in to anime when I was younger, and I still love to watch every now and then. Have a great time at the convention - being geeky is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them!! I hope you were able to submit both to the contest!!

    PS- I am not dorkier than you ;-*************

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work girl!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, the penguins are so cute! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!!!! This is so cute and yeah for you for submitting an entry!!! I hope it does well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so sweet ^_^ Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete