Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

When I made this week's to-do list yesterday, how oh how oh HOW did I forget Alice in Wonderland?! It just came up so fast!! We'll probably be seeing the midnight showing. I know people have their issues with Tim Burton, but I love his style! A little dark, yes, but some stories were meant to be...like Alice in Wonderland.
Disney's cartoon version never really did it for me to be honest. It was just bizarre (or maybe I was just too young). I was surprised to find, once I read it, that I actually enjoyed the book. I found myself relating to Alice...not being sure of growing up and whatnot. What I think the cartoon version lacked was the darkness in the story. So, while it was never one of my favorites, I was still excited to see that it is being redone with Tim Burton. I think he'll be able to do the book justice.
It may be a bit odd that he always includes Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in his movies, but who can complain? The three work remarkably well together! I'm also glad they chose a lesser-known actress to play Alice. It would be too hard to have a famous face there.
I'm excited to revisit the story in a new way. I hope it's great! If nothing else, it will be beautiful :) [Don't you love how gorgeous movies are these days?!]
On a local note, I'm trying to convince my friends to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse. With the possible exception of the IMAX, is any movie really worth seeing somewhere else?

PS: Was anyone else always reeeally creeped out by the Cheshire Cat? The way he'd just appear out of nowhere and know things...*shudder*
(images from Google Images and the Alice in Wonderland facebook page)

3 comments:

  1. "Was anyone else always reeeally creeped out by the Cheshire Cat? The way he'd just appear out of nowhere and know things...*shudder*"

    Creeped out? No, that makes him my idol. I wish I could just appear out of nowhere, say the right thing, grin, and vanish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh the cat does look kind of creepy, I seriously cant wait to see the movie!!!!
    xoxo,
    Lindsay
    I really should read the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, nothing compares to the Alamo.
    Let us know what you think of it afterward!

    ReplyDelete